Last week we celebrated the opening of our newest affordable housing community, The Aurora, which adds 93 much-needed affordable rental apartments to the Rosewood neighborhood of outer SE Portland. We began welcoming residents this summer and are excited for the building to be fully occupied this fall.
This new affordable housing community furthers the vision of Portland voters who passed the Portland Housing Bond in 2016. Bond funds provided core funding to design and build this beautiful and relevant new housing community, the kind of permanent solution for families experiencing homelessness our community desperately needs.
What’s Special About The Aurora?
Here are some notable features of The Aurora:
- 93 Affordable Apartments with a mix of one-, two and three-bedroom apartments for people with low and very low incomes, many exiting homelessness.
- 16 Permanent Supportive Housing Units designed for families with children transitioning out of homelessness. This type of apartment is an important answer to our homelessness crisis because they offer targeted supports to help residents stay housed.
- Wraparound Services to help residents maintain their housing and overall wellbeing. LifeWorks NW and Our Just Future will provide a range of on-site services, including behavioral and mental health counseling and connections to other providers to meet residents’ specific needs.
- Resident Amenities. Residents will have free high-speed internet access in every apartment and throughout the building, a multi-use community room for activities and events, lobby lounge space, an indoor play area for kids, laundry room, outdoor play area and courtyard, and off-street parking.
- Solar Panels to Keep Cost and Impacts Down. Residents with low incomes benefit when utility costs are lower, as they can be with solar, and our entire community benefits from renewable energy. These panels offset 50 tons of CO2 annually!
Get more project details in our project overview.
If you need housing or know anyone who does, you can find a list of all our housing communities and how to contact them here.