From Shawna: Feeding Others Feeds The Soul
For many of us, the holidays are about food. Reminiscing about family meals and recipes (creamed onions, anyone?), baking pies and decorating gingerbread houses, flipping through recipes, and sharing your results with loved ones.
As you know, all that is going to look a bit different this year, thanks to COVID. The need in our community is greater than ever, so we are inviting you to build community with us and share food with those who need it this holiday season. Feeding others is a surefire way to feed our own souls. We’ve got a handful of COVID-safe opportunities for you to build community with us through sharing food. Hopefully one of these will work for you:
- Cook and deliver a dish for one of our many “drop-off potlucks” this season: Thanksgiving Day, mid-December dessert party, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Sunday brunches, and more… See all the options and sign up here! [Pictured right is a volunteer at our most recent Sunday brunch!]
- Coordinate your own “drop off potluck” with your personal or workplace networks – we’ll set you up with an easy and sharable online sign-up on a date that suits you.
- Sponsor a meal for one of our three emergency shelters by catering a dinner from your favorite local restaurant – they all need a boost right now. We’ll help you order!
- Make sack lunches at home for one of our shelters – this is a great family activity and works as a service project for students. You’ll need to buy supplies and deliver. Click here for tips!
- Donate canned food or host a canned food drive for our shelter cooks – they work magic with donated food, so these specific shelf-stable items really stretch their recipes.
- Some folks are able to cook for large groups – we do that, too, if you want to prepare a meal for everyone in a shelter some night. It’s a big, but rewarding job!
Ready to get started? Great! Please reach out to me or Brielle on our team to find out more:
- Email: Volunteer@humansolutions.org
- Call or text: 503.278.1637
Sharing is what the holidays are all about! Since we’re not able to feed our extended families a big, loving holiday meal, let’s join together and feed our neighbors ☺
Thank you for all you do for our community, we sure appreciate you!